Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cauliflower "Steaks" with Cauliflower Puree

Greetings from my death bed...

...or at least it feels that way...  I have a terrible cold and have not been eating much other than soup and toast but felt I should share with you the delicious meal I made on Sunday for my beautiful sister/roomate, Boomer.  This is one of my favorite recipes to make for my non-vegan friends (and siblings) and they are always impressed.  All my life, I had experienced cauliflower two ways:  steamed or boiled.  Often drowned in melted Cheez Whiz (oh the HORROR!).  Until I tried roasting it, I never knew how good cauliflower could be.  And pureed, you would swear you were eating the most delicate mashed potatoes.  I served my cauliflower "steaks" atop the puree with sauteed green and yellow beans (from my Ma's garden) and brown rice gravy.  This recipe serves two generously.  Mmmmmmm...


Cauliflower "Steaks" with Cauliflower Puree  

Ingredients:
One head of cauliflower, washed and dried, leaves trimmed
Olive oil
1/4 - 1/2 cup almond milk (or other non dairy milk)
1 tbsp Earth Balance butter
Pinch fresh ground nutmeg
S&P

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Slice the cauliflower like a loaf of bread, creating two "steaks" from the middle approximately 1/2" - 1" thick.  Place the "steaks" on an oiled baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with S&P.  Roast the "steaks" for about 15 min or until lightly golden on the underside, flip over and roast for an additional 15 - 20 min.  
Meanwhile, chop the remaining cauliflower and steam until very tender.  Puree in a food processor until smooth and add almond milk (start with a little bit and add until you get to a consistency you like), Earth Balance and nutmeg.  Season with S&P and serve with "STEAKS".

Brown Rice Gravy
1/3 cup safflower oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/3 cup brown rice flour
2 1/2 cups water or veggie stock
5 - 6 tbsp shoyu
1 tsp savory herbs of your choice (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme...)
2 tbsp red or white wine (totally optional but adds such a nice richness)
S&P

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.  Add brown rice flour and cook until golden brown and fragrant, about five minutes (for those of you cooking experts, you just made a roux).  Whisk in water or stock, shoyu, herbs and wine if using until smooth.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened.  Season with S&P.  This gravy is good on everything that gravy is good on.  My friend Bud once ate a bowlful of JUST this gravy...

My beautiful sister/roomate Boomer, thoroughly enjoying the cauliflower FEAST!

I promise to get better quick so I can get back in the kitchen to create more delish dishes to post for your benefit, and mine.  Belieeeeve me, I am looking forward to something other than soup and toast...

Until then,
KISSES and happy compassionate eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment